Friday, September 5, 2008

Soggy Shoes


I'm a college student! Sara felt it completely necessary to take a picture of me on my way out the door for my big first day of school. I was really excited to start the school year, and also a little nervous... you know first day jitters.
It was a little cloudy out when I left, but in my excitement I left the house with out a rain jacket or umbrella. The bike ride takes about thirty minutes and I was only five minutes away from campus when I got caught in what I would like to refer to as Hurricane Buford (that's the street I was on when it happened). It was the kind of rain that fell sideways at like 20 miles per hour. It was raining straight into my eyeballs so I pinched them shut, barrelled down the final hill into campus hoping that no one would hit me. And then I looked down and my wet self and I began to laugh.
I continued to laugh as my soggy shoes sloshed down the halls of McNeal Hall, and I was imagining all of the other wet people who I would meet and how we could all be instant wet friends and have a good chuckle about this. However to my great dismay all of my classmates were already quietly waiting in class... BONE DRY. Everyone turned and looked and me as I made my way in searching for an available spot... I am sure some were wondering if I was a member of some sort of Fully Dressed Swimmers Association. Finally I found a spot and saw that the girl next to me looked at me a little shocked, to which I smiled and simply said, "It's raining outside."
It all wouldn't have been so terrible, however I had to be at campus for four more hours before I could come home and change. And I am not sure if you have ever been soaking wet in an air conditioned building, but I was so cold I considered starting a small fire with my text books for warmth.
On the bright side I am well known among my Nutrition peers... I have already had a couple people come up to me this week and ask, "Hey are you that girl who was soaking wet on the first day?" Ummmm ya that's me, just call me soggy shoes.

1 comment:

The Atomic Mom said...

Well, in my first week of 7th grade, I was really trying hard to be the "coolest" 7th grader on the planet. Anyway, one day I ended up slipping on the wet floor in the cafeteria 3 times and each time spilling my lunch tray....it was very humiliating.