Saturday, September 29, 2007

AH... The Classics

This week during one of my frightfully boring moments at work, I searched online for classic books that I hear about all the time but have never read. This was sparked by someone making reference to Gone With The Wind in a conversation and me having no idea what they were talking about. So for about the fourth time in my life I went and got a library card... I seem to loose them alot. I checked out two books, Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. At the checkout the librarian said (in a very librarian voice), "Ah, the Classsics." I giggled and told her I had a list of about 36 to read so I would be back. If anyone has any classics they think I should add to my list feel free to let me know.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, I love the classics! A Separate Peace, The Great Gatsby, Pride and Prejudice, Catcher in the Rye, The Chosen, Wuthering Heights, My Antonia, and To Kill a Mockingbird are a few of my favorites.

Unknown said...

I knew before I even read the comment that it was going to be from Amy! She's great at knowing all the good classic books. I just stick to the children's books. So....when you finish your list of classics, let me know and I'll provide you with a list of good children's books! :)

The Atomic Mom said...

Ahhh, the classics...yes the classics....

The Scarlet Letter & The House of Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorn

Gone With The Wind--a MUST READ!

East of Eden, The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men, The Red Pony...all by John Steinbeck

Great Expectations, Martin Chuzzelwit, Our Mutual Friend, Bleak House...all by Charles Dickens

North & South, Wives & Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell

My Antonia by Will Cather (any of her books are great really)

A Room with a View, and Howard's End by EM Forester

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

Books that are not classics, but you should read anyway because I said so! :)

Anything by Fannie Flagg (you will laugh your head off!)

Exodus by Leon Uris

1776, John Adams or Harry Truman by David McCullough

A Painted House by John Grisham

And of couse, you can always re-read the Ramona Quimby book by Beverly Cleary, sure they are written for a 3rd grader, but they are so good!