Monday, October 1, 2007

The Power of a Kind Word

Tace, is a man who works in my department. He has a great name doesn't he!! Since my starting at the company he has been getting teased about having a "girls name." I have assured him that the "e" at the end makes it quite masculine, and he agrees. As I sat at my cubical this morning staring at the screen someone walked by and knocked on my cubicle wall and said, "Great glasses, you look very nice today." I looked up to see Tace, he said, "You know, us Tace's have to stick together." I smiled in agreement and thanked him for the compliment.
This is the third time this week that someone I barely know has given me a compliment…. And I must admit, it feels great. It makes me smile a little brighter and walk a little taller… like a magnificent boost in confidence. It makes me want to be a little better, because I realize that someone notices. Don't worry I'm not letting this all go to my head, my point in writing this is because I was wondering, how often do I compliment others? I'm sure I could do it much more than I do presently, especially the complimenting of complete strangers… what a great way to start a conversation and develop a friendship!
Now these don't have to be simply compliments of appearance, but thanks for a job well done, appreciation for a door opened, a talent shared or recognizing someone who has inspired you. I want my words to have a positive impact on the people around me. Other people, like myself are trying to build meaningful lives but who often hit the roadblock of discouragement. As I reflect on the kind of words that built me up this last week and in the past, I've decided to make compliments a regular part of my vocabulary. Have you complimented someone yet today?

No comments: