Thursday, October 25, 2007

One Down

I finished a book. I realize that this might not be as exciting for you as it is for me, but humor me for these two short paragraphs of joy!!! With all the directions that life pulls me in I'm amazed I find time to read so much. Thank goodness for the bus, and for hour long lunch breaks. I completed Oliver Twist this morning, and it was wonderful. The last chapter reminded me in movies how they go through all the characters and let you know what eventually happened to each one of them ( l love it when they do that!!). I suppose movies got that idea from books… lol. Like Barbara Foster, my Bishop's wife, said "this is a book where the good people are VERY good, and the bad people are VERY bad." There are such extremes in the characters, but in the end it is the good and merciful and true that triumph. I have always loved this theme in books and movies, Willow and Queen Bavmorda, Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader, Frodo and Saramon, Prince Phillip and Maleficent, Harry Potter and Voldemort… you get the idea.

Like Oliver we are all born good and innocent. We have been given the Light of Christ to help us choose right from wrong. Oliver was thrown into a world full of crime, dishonesty cruelty… he fought to not let these things taint him or change what he knew deep down inside to be right and good. Surrounded by cruel and vicious criminals Oliver remains pure in heart. Beautiful… absolutely beautiful… well done Dickens, bravo Old Chap.. It twas oh so frightfully delightful and insightful, I shall have to read another. Next up Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

No comments: